Ryan D. Smith
Founder | Peak Franchise Law
Ryan D. Smith is the founder of Peak Franchise Law. The company’s tagline is “Franchising Successful Businesses.” As a franchise and business lawyer, Ryan has done exactly that since 2003. He represents franchise and business clients across the country and internationally in a wide variety of business industries.
- Nationwide Franchising.
Ryan is respected for creating clear and compliant Franchise Disclosure Documents and strong and well-organized Franchise Agreements. He has successfully filed many franchise registration and exemption applications in all states that so require. In fact, Ryan has positive, long-standing relationships with many state franchise examiners.
- International Franchising.
Ryan’s pre-law education emphasized international economics, and he has significant interest in international franchising. In cooperation with local legal counsel where needed, Ryan has helped franchisor clients expand into multiple foreign jurisdictions, including, but not limited to, Canada, Mexico, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. He has also helped international companies franchise in the United States.
- Franchise-Related Disputes.
Ryan is known as a peacemaker, and has successfully negotiated multiple franchise-related disputes, thus avoiding the necessity for more formal and expensive dispute resolution proceedings. He is extremely familiar with state franchise relationship laws and helps franchisors comply with them to avoid potential liability.
- Business, Contract and Trademark Law.
- Government Regulation of Franchises
- Business Aspects of Franchising
- Franchise Agreement Form
The above chapters and form appear in Advising Oregon Businesses published by the Oregon State Bar Committee on Continuing Legal Education. These are reference materials for other business lawyers.
Seminars and Speaking Engagements
- Peak Legal Checkup for Businesses, in Partnership with Umpqua Bank, Portland, Oregon, 2009
- Franchise Disclosure Requirements, at the Annual Washington Retail Seminar, Seattle, Washington, 2008
- The Business Sales Process, in Partnership with Norwest Business Sales, Welches, Oregon, 2006
Ongoing Franchise Legal Education
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Denver, Colorado, 2019
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Palm Springs, California, 2017
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Seattle, Washington, 2014
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Los Angeles, California, 2012
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Phoenix, Arizona, 2007
- IFA Franchise Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C., 2004
- Representation of U.S.-based franchisors expanding internationally into various foreign countries and foreign-based franchisors expanding into the U.S.
- Research Assistant, World Family Policy Center (Non-Governmental Organization Accredited by the United Nations), 2001
- Missionary, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Switzerland Geneva Mission, 1995 to 1997 (French language)
Admissions and Memberships
- Member, Oregon State Bar, Since 2003
- Member, Oregon State Bar Business Law Section
- Member, Washington State Bar Association, Since 2017
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Since 2017
- University of Oregon School of Law, Juris Doctor Degree, 2003
- Brigham Young University, Bachelor of Arts, International Studies in Global Economy, 1999
Community Activities and Hobbies
Ryan’s greatest joys come from spending time with his wife and children. He enjoys running, participating in a community basketball league, and outdoor activities like water and snow sports. Ryan is an experienced teacher, a dynamic public speaker, and a strong leader.